Thanks for visiting!
I named this blog after two of my favorite things: sounds (my time as a public radio reporter made an audiophile out of me) and bites (I have been known to cry tears of joy over delicious food).
Here are some facts about me:
- I have lived on four continents.
- My first job out of college involved traveling to fifteen countries.
- My second job brought me to East Africa, where I lived for two years.
- I am married to Paul. We have two little girls, Anna and Lucy.
- Our US hometown is State College, Pa. We lived there for almost 7 years. Now we live in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- I have a Master’s degree in International Affairs.
- I am a sucker for new technology.
- I have been trying to teach myself to play the accordion, but moving to an apartment building in close proximity to others has put a damper on my desire to practice.
- I used to be a public radio journalist. I loved my old job. Now I teach middle school Language Arts. It’s VERY different. But I also love my new job.
- I like black coffee, boring clothes, long road trips, book clubs, podcasts, and rearranging furniture.
- I started blogging in 2002 and kept up my first blog for a decade. Then I hit a blogging wall and took a multi-year hiatus. We’ll see how long I can keep this up.
Some trivia I might bring up at a dinner party, if pressed for conversation topics:
- I have never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
- I was once involved in a car chase (well, more like a motorcycle and taxi chase).
- When I was 7, an older boy followed me down a dark alley and shot me with an airsoft gun at point blank range.
- I survived Taiwan’s 921 earthquake. I can still recall the smell of formaldehyde in the air in the aftermath.
- The first word I uttered on live radio would’ve gotten me in trouble if I had my mic potted up.
- I lived in a tent for three months.
- I used to zip line across a river to get to work every day.
- Ben Affleck once called our phone — we didn’t know it was him, and didn’t pick up.
- My daughter once cried for 7 straight hours during a 15 hour plane ride. We survived.
- I once beat The Colbert Report to a source.